Help to change the world by becoming a part of the renewable energy revolution! Ocean Power Technologies (“OPT”) is the leader in innovative ocean wave energy conversion technologies and products known as the PowerBuoy. Its PowerBuoy systems convert the heaving motion of ocean waves into reliable and persistent electric power. We are aggressively commercializing our PB3 PowerBuoy to a variety of markets including offshore oil and gas, meteorological and oceanic monitoring, defense and security, and communications.
The Systems Engineer is expected to work in a multi-disciplined team environment with highly qualified professionals. As such, he/she drives business priorities, program execution needs, and a systems view of problem solving while executing detailed engineering activities in their specific field of expertise. Works together with peers, the Advanced Technology Group Manager, Program Managers, Operations, purchasing and other managers and leaders within the business to:
- Develop product design specifications and performance requirements.
- Develop, test, and implement control algorithms.
- Design, develop, model, analyze, test and optimize hydrodynamic structures for the purpose of wave energy converter applications.
- Develop and use existing software tools for applications such as simulations of performance of controlled systems.
- Produce clear, comprehensive system-level specifications with input from mechanical and electrical teams.
- Lead/Support design and analysis of components, modules, and systems for with a focus on meeting all performance requirements while designing for manufacturability (DFM) and design to cost (DTC).
- Create product design validation approach and experimental setups.
- Support fabrication of prototype systems.
- Participate in technical marketing and proposal preparation.
- Accountability for delivering on all priorities, assignments, and program/business expectations.
- Support the development and implementation of risk management based system solutions, as defined by the high level program objectives and customer (internal/external/market) product/solution application
- Support and/or coordinate product and technology development reviews in accordance with the company’s Engineering development process (Stage Gate Process).
- Ensure all technical documentation is generated and reviewed in accordance with company’s Engineering process, and Program/Customer contract deliverables/expectations.
- Promote a safe working environment as well as a stringent focus on risk understanding, reporting and management.
- Preferred design experience includes:
- Hydrodynamics of floating bodies.
- Signal processing such as time series analysis, spectral analysis, filter design, etc.
- Control systems and complex electro-mechanical systems deployed in ocean environment.
- Power Systems/industrial background in heavy electro-mechanical and mechanical equipment and operations (heavy machinery, large welded structures, dynamics analysis, fatigue assessment, corrosion prevention, hydraulics, rigging, electric power generation and distribution, high-voltage packaging, and marine operations).
- Demonstrated track record of leadership, accountability, and ownership.
- Ability to think "outside the box" and work with executive management to define and implement business growth strategies.
- Software capabilities needed include: Simulink, MATLAB, ANSYS, SolidWorks (preferred), ProE, OrcaFlex, MS Project, WAMIT, and macro programming (C# / VB).
- Self-starter and strong work ethic and who displays our company core values.
- BS in Electrical, Mechanical, Controls Engineering (MS preferred).
- 4 to 6 years of hands-on engineering development experience of equivalent.
Ocean Power Technologies offers a competitive compensation package including base salary, a health benefits package including dental and vision, 401k plus company matching, paid annual vacation, sick leave and holidays. The successful candidate will also be eligible for OPT’s annual bonus and company stock equity awards.
OPT’s New Jersey headquarters. Relocation assistance will be considered.