Director, Global Applications Engineering
Help to change the world by becoming a part of the renewable energy revolution! Ocean Power Technologies (“OPT”) is the leader in innovative ocean wave energy conversion technologies and products known as the PowerBuoy™. Its PowerBuoy systems convert the heaving motion of ocean waves into reliable and persistent electric power. We are aggressively commercializing our PB3 PowerBuoy to a variety of markets including offshore oil and gas, meteorological and oceanic monitoring, defense and security, and communications.
The Director, Global Applications Engineering is a motivated, creative, experienced engineer and leader with a customer mind-set. The individual will have a focus on ensuring a responsive, effective and productive communication between customers and the business development and engineering teams. The candidate drives a seamless coordination between all relevant parties while advocating for both the customer and OPT, ensuring that application requirements are translated into clear technical specifications, while also advocating for the final product / solution by articulating the specific application value proposition. The candidate prioritizes and drives activities to ensure the creation of winning proposals, and will have a “system-wide” view of problem solving. Excellent people skills, team building and team leadership skills, and outstanding written and oral communication abilities will ensure that the candidate is successful in the role. Working together with other leaders within the business, the responsibilities include:
- Maintain an expert level of product knowledge and market applications.
- Assess market technology trends and needs, and identify addressable applications and opportunities.
- Support the strategic and tactical product and technology positioning to create an affinity between OPT products and services and the target customers and applications.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships throughout the sales cycle with key technical decision makers, evaluators, implementers, and end-users and stakeholders.
- Identify and provide robust solutions for technical challenges to ensure customer satisfaction through all stages of the sales process.
- Work closely with customers, end-users, system integrators and other stakeholders to define application requirements and design specifications.
- Lead and contribute to customer responses, including requests for information and proposal creation.
- Support technical and product training for sales staff, customer organizations, and others as required.
- Maintain accurate records of targeted applications, opportunities, quotes, opportunity win/loss data, contacts and correspondences in company’s approved databases.
- Support product and project start-up, integration and customer training services at end-user sites as required.
- Resolve customer technical issues in a manner that is consistent with the company mission, core values, and financial objectives.
- Provide regular status updates of all projects and ongoing activities.
- Periodically attend market and technical conferences, representing the company through white paper presentations.
- Provide support in creating and delivering customer presentations.
- Experience should include offshore oil and gas subsea equipment and services; power systems or industrial, heavy electro-mechanical equipment and operations; hydraulics, pumps, compressors, rigging, and/or electric power generation and distribution in a marine operations environment.
- Proficiency in project management software such as MS Project and solid modeling software such as SolidWorks is a huge plus.
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Consistently deliver high quality work both independently or with local and remote teams.
- Deep customer service and sales background, preferably in a marine operations environment, along with direct experience in capital equipment bidding and proposal preparation process with the ability to generate technical and commercial bid and proposal specifications.
- The candidate will be customer-focused, establishing trust-based relationships by continuously seeking to exceed customer expectations.
- A demonstrated record of team leadership with the ability to build and grow a global support network to address market demand.
- Accountability in delivering on customer and business commitments is critical.
- Creative and strategic thinking is key as the candidate works with the OPT executive team to define and implement growth strategies.
- Frequent travel both domestically and internationally is required.
- Self-starter and strong work ethic and who displays our company core values.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, or controls engineering or a related field (masters in engineering is a plus).
- A minimum of ten years of relevant hands-on engineering experience.
Ocean Power Technologies offers a competitive compensation package including base salary, a health benefits package including dental and vision, 401k plus company matching, paid annual vacation, sick leave and holidays. The successful candidate will also be eligible for OPT’s annual bonus and company stock equity awards.
The position is located in Houston, Texas.